Monday, February 25, 2008

I need a new job

I want to preface this post by saying that I really like my job. The people I work with are awesome, and I have some really good friends there. The company is cool, and it is a nice easy commute for me. My two bosses are awesome, and really open. I am getting a lot of good experience and meeting new people.

However. The job is SO boring. omg. Basically (and yes, I realize that this makes me sound really self-confident, which I usually am not) I am a little too smart for the job. I find myself forcing myself to slow down at the different things that I do so that I will have enough work to last me the week. If I actually sat down and did the work at my normal pace I would be able to leave work every day at lunchtime.

I have talked to one of my bosses about this. He really likes me, and thinks that I do good work (He has told me this, it is not just wishful thinking on my part). He has, since our talk, been trying to pass more work my way, but there is really only so much stuff he can give me to do. And even the work that he gives me does not give me much of a challenge. I would like to have a job that makes me think a little more than I have to now. I want to be kept busy, and be challenged by the work that is keeping me busy.

Also, the job doesn’t pay that well. I would like to move out of my parent’s house sometime soon (yes, I’m only 23, so I know I have time, but still). My current job makes that hard to do, especially given the cost of living here in the NYC.

I have also been thinking about moving away from NY. As much as I love it, having grown up here, sometimes I think that it would be nice to live in a smaller town. (As a shameless fan of Gilmore Girls, for a while in high school Stars Hallow was my dream town). After working for a while, I don’t know if I could go as small as Stars Hallow, but a change of scene would be nice. It would also force me to meet new people and broaden my dating horizons. My family has another house upstate in NY, close to Vermont. Sometimes I think it would be nice to live there.

I am also thinking that it would be nice to get out of publishing. However, I am terribly indecisive, and I don't know too much about other career paths. As I look at the advancement paths in my industry, there is nothing that seems like it is something I would want to make a "career" out of. Anyone have any suggestions??

Apologies for the terribly long post, but this is just something that has been on my mind. So if anyone knows of jobs for sociology/English majors with sociological research experience and editorial skills who is looking for a change of career, let me know!

No comments: