Thursday, March 6, 2008

Cat-tastic

Ok so the whole cat in the ceiling thing is getting a little out of control. Now, I am NOT a cat person. So when someone suggested I open the ceiling above my bookcase “in case the cat is scared to jump all the way to the desk” I was not having any of it. I would not be happy if a cat came flying out of the ceiling toward my desk OR my bookcase. A. already has the ceiling open above her desk; can’t she open the part above her bookcase as well? That way the cat can have options. And when cats are stuck in ceilings, options are very important. I would much rather watch the flying cat from one office over.

And omg, if I had known that a cat in the ceiling would cause this much drama, maybe A. and I would have kept it to ourselves. Our offices are like a freak show. I am getting no work done. Everyone from the PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY on down has stopped by to stick their heads in the hole in the ceiling and make cat noises. Well if it didn’t come at the first cat noise it definitely isn’t going to come for you, no matter how much your cat at home loves when you make that noise. One of our scariest editors is apparently a HUGE cat fan, and bought in toys and treats and gross smelly cat food. If this lady was as nice to her assistants as she is (apparently) to cats, everyone at my job would be a whole lot happier.

People are expecting hourly emails keeping the apprised of the cat situation. Did you hear it? Was it loud? Do you think its scared? Is it stuck? Really, I’d just like to get some contracts sent out. Thanks. Apparently it is now okay to shout out from your office if you think you heard the cat. I HEARD A MEOW. DID ANYONE ELSE HEAR THAT? Wowzers. The cat is never going to get out of the ceiling because he is terrified of all of you people.

How do you get a cat out of a ceiling? Because it definitely isn’t coming down for any of the weirdos that I work with.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I have never had a cat in a ceiling but I know the fire department has a reputation for getting them out of trees. Why not ceilings?

And yeah I can totally relate on the whole should've just kept your mouth shut thing. I made the mistake of telling someone in the office that I'd seen a mouse and for the next few days I was besieged by freaked out people with questions. Good ones like, "Are you sure it was a mouse?" How are you supposed to answer that? "Well, I'm pretty sure but I suppose it could have been a rat... now do you feel better?"

Anonymous said...

Ah, something I actually know about. My parents got a new cat and it decided to get itself somehow caught in the wall rafters. Days and days and days of a trapped cat until, I, The Cat Whisperer, showed up. Here are some tips (if you still need them):
- Have a towel or blanket handy to wrap the cat in when you catch it
- Don't approach said cat. Let cat come to you.
- Get a Have-A-Heart trap and put stinky (sorry) catfood in it. Stick trap in ceiling. Cat will go in eventually, but they are stubborn.
- Cats = antisocial = leave it alone (but keep it alive) and it'll come out.

Keep me posted & good luck!