Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Can I do this?

So now that the weather is finally starting to not be freezing cold winter, I am going to *try* to start running in the mornings before work again. I really need to do something to get into shape again, because I have been feeling pretty crappy about my body lately.

I do go to the gym after work 3 or 4 times a week, but I really don’t feel like it is doing that much for me. Since I started going (last September) I have noticed some changes, but I would really like more. The problem is that I picked the gym for convenience, not for its awesome facilities. The gym is right at my train stop, so I can get off the train on my way home from work and just go. I seem to have problems getting myself motivated to leave the house again if I go home first.

And it has been working out pretty well—I get there on a fairly regular basis, and I work out for about 45 minutes. But the equipment that they have at the gym isn’t that fantastic. I try to get some circuit training in, but they don’t have any classes or anything to supplement my own workouts. Also, I am the youngest person there by oh, about, 20 years. It is an all women’s gym, which I like. I got a complex in college that guys in the gym were all staring at me, comparing me to the super skinny girls next to me. I would show up in a tee shirt and some old shorts and run on the treadmill, getting all sweaty and gross in the process. And these other girls would show up in some perfectly coordinated outfit, talk on their cell phones while walking on the treadmill, and never break a sweat. So yes, compared to them I probably looked pretty disgusting. EXCUSE ME FOR USING THE GYM FOR ITS PROPER PURPOSE.

Anyway. I like the fact that its all women. Everyone shows up kind of grungy looking because there are no guys to impress. So I can sweat away!

But I really need something to supplement my sad little gym workouts. So I decided that running in the mornings before work is it. I woke up yesterday and today about an hour earlier than I usually do (not to terrible). We will see how it goes. In high school I was a dedicated three-seasoner of track from 7th grade until my senior year and I was in great pretty good shape. I would really like to get that back. Good luck me! (I'll keep you posted on how long this enthusiasm on waking up an hour earlier in the morning lasts)

No comments: