Thursday, March 13, 2008

The weirdest people work with me part 2

The mail man at my job is the creppiest person ever. I know that sounds really mean. But he is. He is about 70 years old, balding, with like 3 strands of hair left that he combs over the top. He wears the same outfit for each day of the week—he has a Monday outfit, a Tuesday outfit, and on and on.

Now I can hear you saying, well, just because he only has 5 outfits and bad hair, that doesn’t mean he’s creepy. He’s just old. And lonely. With poor fashion sense. Oh don’t worry, I have made all of these arguments in my head. I have tried to be nice. And patient. And feel sorry because he is old and should be playing with grandchildren instead of fixing the photocopier and delivering my mail.

Well. In addition to all of the above he is a LURKER. A quiet, sneaky lurker. I will be typing and I will turn my head and he will just be in my doorway. Creepy. How long have you been standing there Fred? (yes, his name really is Fred. Of course) And he nicknames people and mutters their nicknames under their breath as he lurkes in their office doorway. And if you smile kindly and say “Hi Fred, thanks for dropping this off” he looks taken aback and slowly backs out of my doorway muttering all of the ways he has abbreviated my name under his breath. I don’t like it.

And he makes every interaction you have with him super awkward. You could just be walking past him in the hall and smile and say “Hi Fred” and he will jump to the other side of the hall and mutter something about not getting in the way.

Dude. It’s a big hall. Two people can fit in it. Happens all the time.

Anyway. I dread interactions with him. I walk away feeling so awkward and terrible. I feel like a really mean person, even as I’m writing this. But I try to be nice in person!! I just had to get it out.

Hi I’m Tilda. And the mailman? He freaks me out.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Awww. That's sad. I'd be creeped out too, but it wouldn't stop me from feeling all guilty about it and sorry for him.