Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Please pick someone! Anyone?

So I don’t want to make this blog all political, but since we are constantly inundated with news from the presidential election (slightly overshadowed, for the minute, by Eliot Spitzer, but sure to be back on track soon) it is hardly something I can avoid.

BTW, Eliot Spitzer? Way to go.

The presidential election is making me want to move to another country. I am SO sick of it, but I can’t stop paying attention, for fear that I might miss something important (like Hillary Clinton on SNL). This has been going on forever. I feel like, by the time the actual election rolls around, people will just be ready to throw up their hands and say “I don’t care just please fill our newspapers with something else!”.

And while I am a lifelong Democrat, I cannot help but be sort of embarrassed by the back and forth snipping by my party. If there is anytime the Democrats can stage a takeover, one would have thought that the time was now, but I feel that we are throwing away our chance by dragging this election out for months. The two candidates are both strong potential leaders, and both have their strengths and weaknesses. I am not going to go into which one I support, because, for me at least, the most important issue is moving on from these eight years of Bush presidency. At this point, neither candidate is going to have enough delegate votes to win the nomination. However, instead of trying to do what is best for the COUNTRY they are both solely interested in dragging out this primary season for as long as humanly possible. I thought that the point of moving so many primaries up was to speed up the nomination process, not drag it out over a period of decades months.

I am sorry. I am usually all for the election process, and supportive of my party. But I am starting to get frustrated. Both candidates are looking worse and worse to me because I am so sick of seeing their faces over everything. Obama can’t sneeze without Clinton flipping out about it and it is driving me crazy. Just pick someone!!

The longer we take to pick someone, the more organized the Republican party looks. Instead, our process is entrenching people even further into their Obama/Clinton divide. Whichever person actually gets the nomination is going to have such a hard time swinging their own votes to their side that they will barely have time to run against the Republican. Which is bad news. We need a candidate. One that will unify. The more down and dirty this election gets the harder it will be for die hard Clinton supporters to get out there and rock the vote for Obama, or vice versa.

We need one candidate. And we need them soon.

Apologies for this long political rant. I am just frustrated that our party seems to be throwing away a golden opportunity

No comments: